Park Ambassador Manager
Park Ambassador Manager
Madison Square Park Conservancy is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to protect, nurture and enhance Madison Square Park, a dynamic 6.2-acre public green space, creating an environment that fosters moments of inspiration. The Conservancy is committed to engaging the community through its beautiful gardens, inviting amenities, and world-class programming.
Reporting to the Director of Horticulture and Park Operations, the Manager is responsible for managing and supporting the Park Ambassadors and ensuring Madison Square Park is a safe, welcoming, and informative space for all visitors and MSPC staff.
- Implement schedules and develop staff training
- Maintain daily records, including detailed documentation, end-of-tour reports, incident reports, inspection forms, etc.
- Respond to emails, Slack, radio inquiries, and requests in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Validate permits, including special event permits, parking permits, sound permits, film permits and food vendor permits
- Actively participate in all training opportunities including exhibition content, visitor engagement strategies, improving customer service, etc.
- Support visitor experience research efforts through data collection, data entry, and related tasks
- Hire, mentor, train, and discipline junior staff with oversight
- Find and suggest improvements, as necessary, to meet the Conservancy’s high standards
- Implement procedures to build teams, maintain employee morale and create an inclusive environment.
- Develop and maintain relationships with outside partners
- Conduct rounds of all facilities.
- Educate and enforce Park Rules and Regulations with visitors
- Monitor, inspect, and report park safety hazards, vandalism, quality of life issues, etc.
- Contact and assist partner safety organizations such as police, fire departments, permit offices, emergency medical technicians, and homeless outreach services as conditions occur.
- Open and close facilities and amenities as directed.
- Be available during inclement weather and other emergencies.
- Direct vehicle and patron traffic as needed.
- Visitor Experience:
- Provide accessible, relevant, clear, timely information, and support the visitor’s journey
- Engage visitors, answer questions and help foster good first impressions to maintain a positive relationship with visitors
- Share Madison Square Park Conservancy’s mission and values with visitors
- Promote the sales of Membership and other development opportunities
- Inform patrons of volunteer activities and other upcoming programs and events
- Support the operation of all visitor-facing programs, events, and activities
- Share patron feedback with other staff members to improve the visitor experience
- Return lost and found items
Qualifications and Requirements:
- At least 3 years of experience in public safety/security and/or customer services; NYS Security Guard License required
- Experience or training in social work and/or mental health services required
- Experience managing and supporting a small team that is often confronted with difficult customer situations
- Ability to clearly and confidently communicate with the public and safety officials, representing the organization to visitors and other external stakeholders in person, in writing, and by telephone
- Comfort approaching individuals or groups to enforce rules and regulations
- Experience and comfort diffusing conflicts and tense public situations
- Experience serving diverse audiences
- Ability to multi-task and handle competing priorities
- Ability to actively listen to what others are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, ask questions as appropriate and not interrupt at inappropriate times
- Working knowledge of technology, including Google suite, Slack, and Zoom
- Familiarity navigating partnerships with government agencies
- Detail-oriented, decisive problem solver who can adapt to changing priorities and address issues in a timely manner as they arise
- Ability to perform physically strenuous work in various weather conditions alone and in a team environment
- Comfort working in an environment with dogs and park wildlife
- Multilingual experience is a plus
Compensation AND SCHEDULE:
Salary range is $55,000 – $65,000 based on experience.
Benefits include: Paid Employee Health plan, Paid Employee Dental & Vision Plan, Vacation/Sick Days, Personal Day, Floating Holidays, 401K Plan after a year, commuter benefits, work phone provided, 40 hours a week.
- Flexible Schedules required for training, events, and weather emergencies.
- Typical schedule after training 3:30 PM- 12:30 AM Sunday – Wednesday
To apply, please submit via email attachment a cover letter and resume including names and complete contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that Madison Square Park Conservancy has required Covid 19 vaccination for all employees. The organization will consider accommodations for disability and religious-based reasons.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Madison Square Park Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity (“EEO”) laws.
The Conservancy prohibits discrimination against applicants for employment because of the individual’s race or color, religion or creed, alienage or citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest or pre-employment conviction record or any other characteristic protected by law.