Madison Square Park Conservancy New York, NY
Job Title: Horticulture Associate
Position Reporting: Reports to Horticulture Manager
Start Date: June 2021
Madison Square Park, a seven-acre urban site, is located in Manhattan’s Flatiron District at East 23rd Street between Madison and Fifth Avenues. Madison Square Park Conservancy raises the funds that support a program of commissioned contemporary public art, lush horticulture, Park maintenance, Park security, and free public programs. The Park has remained open during the pandemic providing an urban oasis for neighbors, families, communities, workers.
Madison Square Park Conservancy’s horticulture program features 7 acres of dynamic public green space. Madison Square Park is Manhattan’s only accredited arboretum and home to several centennial trees. The stunning perennial gardens feature 5 signature plant collections, ecological gardens, and ornamental flowers. Our signature horticulture program features two themed seasonal exhibitions a year providing surprise and delight to visitors.
The Horticulture Associate is in the weeds in maintaining the onsite gardens. This is a full-time position for hands-on experience with one of New York City’s premier dynamic public horticulture programs.
Essential duties and responsibilities include
- Planting, watering, weeding, pruning, mowing, cleaning, fertilizing of Park grounds to industry standards
- Supervision of horticulture volunteers in individual and group settings with direction.
- Adjustment and minor maintenance on power equipment used in gardening, gardening tools, and all types of sprinkler systems
- Interpretation of botanical and horticulture subjects to the general public
- Snow removal and special projects during the winter months
- Associates in horticulture, landscape architecture, or related fields are preferred. In place of a degree, considerations are made with relevant field experience, certificate programs, internships, and volunteer experience.
- Knowledge of and passion for public horticulture
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Plant identification skills and knowledge of botanical nomenclature
- Strong skills in Office and Google Suites
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to work effectively on multiple projects and to meet deadlines
- An enthusiastic team player with good interpersonal skills
- Must be able to repeatedly lift up to 50 lbs.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range is $40,000-$47,000 and is commensurate with experience.
- Excellent paid benefits
- Various professional membership and networking opportunities
40 Hours a Week, 7 AM – 3:30 PM, RDOs Monday and Tuesday
To apply, please submit the following via email attachment all in one document to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- cover letter
- portfolio of previous horticulture work
- resume including names and complete contact information for three references
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be held on Zoom and in person. We encourage applications from people with BIPOC identities.
Madison Square Park Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity (“EEO”) laws. The Conservancy prohibits discrimination against applicants for employment because of the individual’s race or color, religion or creed, alienage or citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest or pre-employment conviction record or any other characteristic protected by law.